I have always worked in a traditional job setting – you know the one I am talking about. Up at 6:00 am and out the door by 7:30 am – give or take the timeline – then usually a drive to get where you are going (sometimes 1 hour or longer commute) to then have to answer to someone or other’s above you …… and usually a job that there is no real satisfaction, but something that pays the bills …………….. “I work to live” not “I live to work”
I entered the marketing world a few months ago. I had no previous experience in marketing. All I knew was that I had a burning desire for success and had to pave a way out of living paycheque to paycheque. I understand that the marketing world can be overwhelming at times. It seems like everywhere you turn someone has a new offer that is “fail proof” or “will make you a millionaire in a years time”. Now these offers may be great but for a newbie marketer, it’s confusing.
I’ve had many up’s and down’s with marketing. I’ve had breakthrough’s and slumps but after all is said and done, I have a consistent and productive schedule I follow. If you’re new to marketing or have an interest in starting your marketing career, these are the DO’s and DON’T’s that I believe will make all the difference in your journey.
- Do Your Research – Everyday someone is coming out with a new marketing strategy or company so it’s vital to make sure you know what you’re getting in to.
- Take Your Time – Being patient is something that a lot people, in general, need to learn. Not everyone will make $10,000 in their first 30 days but with hard work and determination, you WILL get there.
- Knowledge Is Power – I’m someone who loves to learn. I soak up as much knowledge as I can and believe the more you know, the more you can earn. When you have more knowledge than someone else on a subject they’re interested in, you have the upper hand. This is called Leverage.
- Do Whatever It Takes To Succeed – When I say this, I don’t mean it in a cut-throat way. I mean it as making sacrifices that will benefit you in the future. Sometimes it will take sleep-less nights watching seminars or some monetary investments but always keep focus your goal ahead.
- Think Positive – A lot people are interested in the marketing world and the money you can earn but don’t have the faith that it actually works. If you have any doubt in your body that the company you’ve joined won’t be profitable for you, you’ve just wasted your time. Belief in your business, your goal and yourself is all it takes to be successful.
- Don’t Believe EVERYTHING You Hear – There are many people who genuinely want you and everyone else to succeed. They really have a system that works in your favour and is profitable. Then there are those who just want your money. If you have that gut feeling about a business, follow your gut.
- Inconsistency – I personally believe that this is the reason why a lot of newbie marketers quit too soon. They believe that if they do something once, it’ll always make you money. That “set it and forget it” mentality. The only way you can get to the level is if you’re consistent in the beginning of your journey. Everything else will fall in to place.
- Lose Focus – When starting as a newbie marketer, it’s good to set a long term goal. Once that goal is in place, that is what will be your driving force. Always remind yourself of that goal if you feel like you’re losing focus.
- Take On Too Much – One thing that I’ve learned from very quickly was that I took on too much too soon. I got so excited to start my marketing career that i joined too many businesses at once. I got overwhelmed and confused and ended up losing money. Choose one business, focus all your energy on that one business and when you start to earn a consistent profit then you can venture out to other businesses.
- NEVER GIVE UP! – Quit, fail and give up are 3 things that I don’t believe in. Those words are what will break you down and force your mind to think it’s impossible to succeed. Failure is not an option, ever.
Hopefully this information will help any new marketer in their career. Take the time to learn, to ask questions, and to track what works for you and also what doesn’t. Thank you for your time and God bless. Make it a great day!